Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Technical overview Pt.1


I started out with a PD patch that I tailored to derive various data streams from an audio input.

The heart of this patch is the fiddle~ object with derives frequency, pitch (in MIDI note values), amplitude (in dB), and harmonic content (also known as individual sinosoidal components; I only printed 3 harmonics). Fiddle is also set up to derive attack values, but I haven't implemented that feature in the main patch yet.

If I precede the fiddle~ object with an adc~ (input from microphone), then I get lots of audio data streams. O Yea!

If I set up outlet points after each number box with the individual data streams, I can just plug this patch into a larger visually driven patch.

Please note: When writing a patch like this in Max/MSP, which I had to do after I realized that my project was best suited for Jitter, you need to download the fiddle object and place it in the Max/MSP externals folder. Otherwise this patch will not work.

Also note: As you will see, the audio input patch is like a master control for audio and MIDI. While I don't necessarily plan on using MIDI for the final presentation, this can be an added feature later on.

No comments: